Fire destroys Newcastle home

February 6, 2012

 

Newcastle house fire

A home located in the 6400 block of Lake Washington Boulevard S.E. caught fire Feb. 3. Initial damage is reported at $500,000.

NEW — 9:15 a.m. Feb. 6, 2011

A residential fire in Newcastle destroyed a home the afternoon of Feb. 3 and sent one of the occupants to the hospital with minor burns. The home is located in the 6400 block of Lake Washington Boulevard S.E.

The fire was caused by radiant heat from the home’s fireplace that ignited a pile of boxes stacked nearby. The fireplace was located in the home’s sun room area. It progressed through the home by burning through a nearby sliding glass door and entering the kitchen.

Because of working smoke detectors, a 22-year-old woman was able to exit the home without injury.

The woman’s stepfather was also home at the time and was taken to the hospital after he was first found unresponsive with burn injuries, said Bellevue Fire Department Lt. Troy Donlin.

“After he left the scene, those turned out to be very minor injuries and very minor burns,” he said.

The owner of a gas station less than a block away called 911 when heard the smoke detectors and saw smoke coming from the home. Firefighters arrived within five minutes to find the back of the home engulfed in flames, Donlin said.

Read more