Fire destroys Newcastle home
February 6, 2012
NEW — 9:15 a.m. Feb. 6, 2011
A residential fire in Newcastle destroyed a home the afternoon of Feb. 3 and sent one of the occupants to the hospital with minor burns. The home is located in the 6400 block of Lake Washington Boulevard S.E.
The fire was caused by radiant heat from the home’s fireplace that ignited a pile of boxes stacked nearby. The fireplace was located in the home’s sun room area. It progressed through the home by burning through a nearby sliding glass door and entering the kitchen.
Because of working smoke detectors, a 22-year-old woman was able to exit the home without injury.
The woman’s stepfather was also home at the time and was taken to the hospital after he was first found unresponsive with burn injuries, said Bellevue Fire Department Lt. Troy Donlin.
“After he left the scene, those turned out to be very minor injuries and very minor burns,” he said.
The owner of a gas station less than a block away called 911 when heard the smoke detectors and saw smoke coming from the home. Firefighters arrived within five minutes to find the back of the home engulfed in flames, Donlin said.
The second and third floors of the home were completely destroyed by the fire.
Donlin said the residents had just moved into the home less than three weeks before the fire started.
Firefighters from Bellevue and Mercer Island worked for just under an hour to extinguish the flames. Members of the King County Fire Investigation Unit also assisted with the investigation.
No firefighter injuries were reported.
The initial damage is estimated at about $500,000.
The family did have insurance and were being assisted by members of their church.