May 31, 2012
An open house and food drive for Northwest Harvest is from 4-6 p.m. June 5 at City Hall, 12835 Newcastle Way, Suite No. 200.
The Newcastle Chamber of Commerce monthly luncheon is from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. June 13 at Tapatio Mexican Grill, 6920 Coal Creek Parkway S.E. Guest speaker is Bobbie Daniel, of the King County Library System. Cost is $20 for members and $25 for nonmembers. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Newcastle Weed Warriors has the following maintenance and restoration projects through June (from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.) Learn more at www.newcastleweedwarriors.org:
- June 2 — National Trails Day Walk, meet at Lake Boren Park by restrooms at 9 a.m.
- June 9-10 — blackberry removal, Lake Boren Park
The Newcastle Shell Charity Golf Event to Benefit the Fisher House Foundation is June 16 at The Golf Club at Newcastle. Event registration begins at 6:30 a.m. with the first tee off at 9 a.m. Cost is $250 per golfer. Register at https://tournaments.okigolf.com/EventInfo.aspx?E=756602. Learn more by calling 255-2754 or email email@example.com.
The sixth annual Jim Mora Celebrity Golf Classic, presented by Key Bank to raise funds for children at risk and in need, is June 25 at The Golf Club at Newcastle, 15500 Six Penny Lane. The event features 34 teams of four paired with a celebrity. There will be course contests, car giveaways and a BackSwing Bash Happy Hour and Dinner Auction. Learn more about sponsorship and participation availability by contacting Executive Director Casey Kennedy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-396-4441.
The Mack Strong TEAM-WORKS Academy Golf Tournament, Dinner and Auction is July 18 at The Golf Club at Newcastle. Tee off is at 1 p.m. with the auction and banquet at 6 p.m. Register at http://teamworksacademy.org/golf-tournament.
All city public meetings are at City Hall, 12835 Newcastle Way, Suite 200. Call 649-4444.
- City Council — 7-10 p.m. June 5
- City Council Budget Retreat — noon to 6 p.m. June 7, The Golf Club at Newcastle, 15500 Six Penny Lane
- Economic and Community Development Committee — 8-9 a.m. June 12
- Parks Open House — 5:30-6:30 p.m. June 13
- Parks/Planning Commission — 6:30-8:30 June 13
- City Council Study Session — 6-7 p.m. June 19
- City Council — 7-10 p.m. June 19
- Finance Committee — 8-9 a.m. June 21
- Newport Way Library Association Meeting — 7:30 p.m. June 11, Newport Way Library, 14250 S.E. Newport Way, Bellevue
The Newcastle Trails board meets the first Monday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Regency Newcastle, 7454 Newcastle Golf Club Road.
The Coal Creek Family YMCA, 13750 Newcastle Golf Club Road, has regular family programs for all ages. Get a complete schedule by calling 282-1500 or go to www.seattleymca.org/Locations/CoalCreek/Pages/Home.aspx.
- Health & Wellness Seminar: Card Making, for adults, 2-3 p.m. June 3, free
- Health & Wellness Seminar: Does Lack of Sleep Make You Gain Weight? for adults, 6-7 p.m. June 7, free
- Kids Create: Father’s Day Surprise, for ages 4-10, 5:30-6:15 p.m. June 13, $5
- Swim Lessons: Preschool 3 — Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:45-6:15 p.m. June 18 to Aug. 30, $70-$90
- Adult Cooking: Summer Salads, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 20, $10
- Fun With Food: Fruit Pizza, for ages 3-10, 5:30-6:15 p.m. June 27, $5
- Health & Wellness Seminar: Car Seat Safety Checks, for adults, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 29, free
- Stroller Boot Camp at Gene Coulon Park, 9:30-10:30 a.m. July 6 to Aug. 31, free
Friends of the Newcastle Library meeting is from 4-6 p.m. June 16, Community Room at the Bellevue Fire Station No. 9, 12412 Newcastle Way.
Friends of the Newcastle Library meeting is from 10 a.m. to noon, July 7, Community Room at the Bellevue Fire Station No. 9, 12412 Newcastle Way.
The Newport Way Library is at 14250 S.E. Newport Way, Bellevue. The following programs are offered the rest of the month:
- “If I’m Not a Writer, Why Should I Write Stories About My Life?” for adults, 1:30 p.m. June 3
- “Drop in to Learn About eBooks,” for adults, 2 p.m. June 5 and 19
- Volunteer information meeting, for teens, 5:30 p.m. June 6
- Computer class: “Internet Level 1,” for adults and teens, 7 p.m. June 6
- Computer class: “One-on-One Assistance,” for adults and teens, 7 and 8 p.m. June 13
- Newport Way Book Group, for adults, discusses “Honolulu,” by Alan Brennert, 7:30 p.m. June 18
- Starlight Circus Show, for children and their families, 7 p.m. June 20
- Baby Rhyming Time, for children and families, 10:15 a.m.
- Young Toddler Story Time, for ages 1-2 with an adult, 10:15 a.m. Tuesdays
- Toddler Story Time, for ages 2-3 with an adult, 11:15 a.m. Tuesdays
- Preschool Story Time, for ages 3-5 with an adult, 1 p.m. Tuesdays
- Baby Rhyming Time, for children and families, 10:15 a.m. Wednesdays
- World Language Story Time, for children and their families, 10:30 a.m. Fridays
- Study Hall, for teens, children and families, 3 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays
- Study Zone, for teens, children and families, 3 p.m. Thursdays
East Shore Singles, a social group for single adults older than 45, sponsors monthly activities and special events on the Eastside. New members are welcome. Call 433-0558 for a monthly bulletin go to
The Society of Artists for Newcastle, an art organization, is seeking new members. Call 271-5822.
MOMS Club of Renton meets for play dates at parks and other locations. New activities are planned daily. This nonprofit, nonreligious organization provides daytime support for moms and their families. Call 260-3079.
Bridge players are wanted, evening or daytime. Games take place at various homes in the Hazelwood area. Call 255-0895.
Newcastle Historical Society meets at 4 p.m. the first Thursday at City Hall, 13020 S.E. 72nd Place. Call 226-4238.
An international dinner, sponsored by Baha’i Faith of Newcastle, is at 6:30 p.m. the third Friday. Call 430-8047.
Drinking Liberally, an informal progressive social group that discusses politics, meets at 7 p.m. the first and third Thursday at Angelo’s Restaurant, 1830 130th Ave. N.E., Bellevue. Go to www.drinkingliberally.org.
Eastside Mothers & More, a social network for mothers, meets from 7-9 p.m. the second Tuesday in the North Room at East Shore Unitarian Church, 12700 S.E. 32nd St., Bellevue. Go to www.eastsidemothersandmore.org.
Hill ’N’ Dale Garden Club, meets at 6:30 p.m. the first Monday September through May at the Newport Way Library, 14250 S.E. Newport Way. Call 747-2953.
Angel Care Breast Cancer Foundation-trained survivors offer free emotional support to the newly diagnosed, enhancing emotional recovery while going through treatments. Go to www.angelcarefoundation.org.
The Coal Creek Family YMCA Seniors Program needs volunteers for intergenerational opportunities, including rocking and comforting infants, teaching children to play bridge and reading to kindergartners. Call 282-1506.
Newcastle Weed Warriors: Volunteers are needed to staff the information booth for Healthy Kids Day at Coal Creek YMCA, 13750 Newcastle Golf Club Road. Learn more at www.newcastleweedwarriors.org.
Newcastle Trails — Trail Advocates and Builders for Newcastle: The group has built and maintained miles of trails for the public throughout the city, and has regular meetings and work parties. Call 453-9292, ext. 110. Learn more at www.newcastletrails.org.