Fire, explosion rocks Newcastle neighborhood

July 30, 2015

NEW — 11:30 a.m. July 30, 2015

Nerves were rattled, but no one was hurt, when a pickup truck loaded with compressed gas cylinders caught fire, setting off explosions in a Newcastle neighborhood Wednesday night.

Credit: Bellevue Fire Department A U-Haul rental pickup truck filled with compressed gas cylinders caught fire and erupted in a Newcastle neighborhood July 29.

Credit: Bellevue Fire Department
A U-Haul rental pickup truck filled with compressed gas cylinders caught fire and erupted in a Newcastle neighborhood July 29.

The fire spread to both the north and south side of the road in the 1800 block of Southeast 84th Street, damaging yards, a deck support post, fence, trailer and cedar tree, said Lt. Richard Burke, community liaison officer with the Bellevue Fire Department. Read more

Fire destroys Newcastle home

April 30, 2015

A fire destroyed a Newcastle home in the 10900 block of Southeast 66th Street on April 13.

All five tenants in the two-story rental home at the time escaped without injuries thanks, largely, to working smoke detectors that alerted some of the sleeping occupants, according to a Bellevue Fire Department news release.

Bellevue firefighters responded to a 911 call at about 8:15 p.m. When the first crews arrived, the house was engulfed in flames that could be seen from Interstate 405 and Mercer Island. Callers also reported hearing multiple explosions.

Investigators determined the fire started in a barbecue located on a porch on the north side of the house, said Lt. Richard Burke, community liaison officer with the Bellevue Fire Department. Read more

Safe, but not secure

June 6, 2014

DetmerColumn 20140600

My sisters and I are a cautious lot. My mother was a careful, self-reliant German Midwesterner, and my father — German as well — was an insurance adjustor, cleaning up after accidents, tornadoes and fires. We heard all of the horrific possibilities that life could serve up while we were at the dinner table. Read more

House fire causes $500,000 in damage

March 2, 2012

Contributed by the Bellevue Fire Department This Newcastle home, in the 6400 block of Lake Washington Boulevard Southeast, caught fire Feb. 3 after a stack of cardboard boxes were ignited by radiant heat from the home’s fireplace.

A residential fire in Newcastle destroyed a home the afternoon of Feb. 3 and sent one of the occupants to the hospital with minor burns.

The home is located in the 6400 block of Lake Washington Boulevard Southeast.

Read more

King County imposes summertime burn ban

August 9, 2011

NEW — 4:30 p.m. Aug. 9, 2011

Dry conditions and forecasts calling for continued dry weather prompted the King County fire marshal to call for a fire-safety burn ban in unincorporated areas.

The ban started Aug. 8 and runs until Sept. 30.

The latest burn ban is in addition to a state burn ban on forestlands, such as Tiger Mountain, and a summer burning moratorium in the Eastside Fire & Rescue service area, including Issaquah. The state and EFR bans remain in effect until Sept. 30 as well.

The county burn ban applies to all outdoor burning, except for small recreational fires in established fire pits at approved campgrounds or owner-approved fires on private property.

Read more

House fire causes $250,000 in damage

July 1, 2011

A house fire in the 8800 block of 116th Avenue Southeast severely damaged two homes June 26. The fire broke out at 10:11 p.m. in a resident’s garage, spreading to his house’s interior and a neighboring house, said Lt. Eric Keenan, Bellevue Fire Department spokesman.

A fire in the 8800 block of 116th Avenue Southeast the night of June 26 left one house in ashes and another badly burned. Investigators were unable to verify what started the blaze, which began in this garage.

Both houses were occupied at the time, but everyone escaped without injury. Keenan said the damage is estimated at a quarter-million dollars.

The blaze continued for 40 minutes before firefighters got the flames under control, and it wasn’t before the man’s garage was almost completely destroyed. The Bellevue Fire Department ruled the cause of the fire as “undetermined,” as damage to the garage was too extensive to indicate how the fire began.

However, Keenan said the homeowner had been doing refinishing work and left oily rags in his garage, which may have led to the fire.

House fire causes quarter-million dollars in damage

June 27, 2011

NEW — 4:05 p.m. June 27, 2011

A fire in the 8800 block of 116th Avenue Southeast the night of June 26 left one house in ashes and another badly burned. Investigators were unable to verify what started the blaze, which began in this garage. By Tim Pfarr

A house fire in the 8800 block of 116th Avenue Southeast severely damaged two homes Sunday night. The fire broke out at 10:11 p.m. in a resident’s garage, spreading to his house’s interior and a neighboring house, said Lt. Eric Keenan, Bellevue Fire Department spokesman.

Read more