Lake Boren — The old swimming hole

December 4, 2015

By Rich Crispo

best online viagra forum viagra

What do we do when the temperature is 90 degrees? Sit in an air-conditioned house, go to an air-conditioned movie theater, take a drive in an air-conditioned car, or maybe go to Renton’s Coulon Park and enjoy the water. In 1890, the kids of Newcastle went to Etta Cartney Lake while their parents went to work or did their chores under the hot sun. The swimming hole was along the northeast shore near a steep embankment. A large tree supported a rope swing that would drop the kids 20 feet. There was also a submerged tree out farther that the kids would swim to and stand on its end with their heads above water.

Cartney was a young woman living in the area, and for a reason unknown to this author, had the local coal range named after her along with what is now called Lake Boren (It had also been called Little Lake). The lake was the recreation center for the residents and, along with serving as the local swimming hole, it was a great spot to fish. In 1883, the lake was 90 feet deep. Today, the deepest part measures only 34 feet. Over the years, great amounts of run-off have come down China Creek and filled in the lake.

There were flood plains to the north, south and east, and during the winter months, these areas became swampy. In fact, when the first railroad was routed down what is now Coal Creek Parkway, a trestle was constructed over the marshy area. When the standard gauge came in to replace the narrow gauge the swamp was filled in and the trestle removed. The trains would pass by the lake about 15 feet above the surface of the water. In the winter, the lake would freeze and daring young drivers would take their cars out on the ice. One unlucky young man ventured out before the ice was thick enough. He went through the ice. He was not hurt and the car recovered.

The lake was part of the migration route for a salmon run that would come through Lake Washington, follow May Creek, and continue up Boren Creek (formerly called Scottish Creek), and into Lake Boren. The salmon would then continue up China Creek to spawn. Milt Swanson recalled seeing many salmon in China Creek as he passed by in the bus on the way to high school in Issaquah (1932-1936). The run was stopped in the early 1950s when a culvert was placed under what is now 84th Street. There were more than salmon in the lake. In 1940 a 3 pound trout was taken.

After the salmon run was lost, the Department of Fisheries began stocking the lake with trout every year.  Opening Day saw wall to wall boats across the lake in pursuit. The boat ramp on the east side of the lake was lost when Coal Creek Parkway was expanded.

As mentioned earlier, the north and south ends of the lake were swampy in the winter, but in the summer, livestock grazed to the north on the fertile ground of the Peterson Farm and to the south, farmers grew crops such as potatoes. The first houses on the lake were built in the 1940s on the west side.

Bookmark and Share

Comments

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.