January 2, 2013
The Newcastle Chamber of Commerce monthly lunch is from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Jan. 9 at Tapatio Mexican Grill, 6920 Coal Creek Parkway S.E. Guest speaker is to be determined. Cost is $20 for members, $25 for nonmembers.
City Hall is closed Jan. 21 for the Martin Luther King holiday.
After Hours at Valley Medical event is from 6-7:15 p.m. Jan. 17. Come to meet a doctor and take a tour at 7203 129th Ave. S.E., Suite 200. Also enjoy a glass of wine or cold beer and some light appetizers. Learn more by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Renton School District presents College Goal Sunday, an FAFSA Completion Event, from 3-7 p.m. Jan. 17 in the Hazen High School library and computer labs, 1101 Hoquiam Ave. N.E. Call 204-2300.
Chamber of commerce’s networking breakfast is from 7:30-8:30 a.m. Jan. 23 at Regency Newcastle, 7454 Newcastle Golf Club Road. This month’s business topic is Networking Works, with James Alberson, of Sandler Training. Seating is limited and preregistration is required by emailing email@example.com.
Dance class registration is now open at Cornerstone Studio, 5810 119th Ave S.E., for the 2012-13 school year. There are classes for age 2 to adult from ballet to breakdancing. Learn more at www.corner- stonestudio.com.
The Coal Creek Family YMCA, 13750 Newcastle Golf Club Road, has regular family programs for all ages. Get a complete schedule by calling 282-1500 or go to www.seattleymca.org/Locations/CoalCreek/Pages/Home.aspx.
- Circus Parents Night Out at the Y, for ages 3-11, 5-9 p.m. Jan. 5, $30 for facility members/$40 for nonmembers, free, call 282-1500.
- Tai Chi, for ages 14 and older, 1-2 p.m., Jan. 6 to April 28, free, call 282-1518
- Health & Wellness Leader Information Session, for ages 18 and older, 6:30-8 p.m. Jan. 22, free, 282-1518
- Healthy Body Image: Teaching Kids to Eat and Love Their Bodies, for fourth through sixth grades, 4-5:30 p.m. Jan. 24 to April 24, $75, call 282-1517.
- Teen Night: Laser Tag, for grades six through nine, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Jan. 26, $20
- Masquerade Ball Parents Night Out at the Y, for ages 3-11, 5-9 p.m. Feb. 2, $30 for facility members/$40 for nonmembers, call 282-1500
- Tumbling: Mommy/Daddy & Me, for ages 1-3, 10:45-11:30 a.m. Thursdays, $5 for members/$9 for nonmembers
- Diabetes Prevention Program, for ages 18 and older, call for times or to sign up
- Swimming lessons, for ages 3 and older, $54, call for age group times and dates
- Itty Bitty T-Ball, for ages 3-4, through Feb. 27, 4:30-6 p.m., $30-$56
- Tae Kwon Do, for ages 5 and older, through March 28, $28-$54, call for age group times and dates
The Friends of the Newcastle Library meets from 7-9 p.m. Jan. 23, at the Newcastle Library, 12901 Newcastle Way.
The Newcastle Library is at 12901 Newcastle Way. The library will be closed Jan. 21 for the Martin Luther Day holiday. The following programs are offered the rest of the month:
- Drop-in to Learn About eBooks, for adults, 7 p.m. Jan. 9
- Teen Advisory Board, for sixth-graders and up, 7 p.m. Jan. 14
- Art Preview: Rembrandt and the Art of the 17th Century, for adults, 7 p.m. Jan. 16
- Computer Class: Internet Level 1, for adults, 7 p.m. Jan. 17
- Computer Class: One-on-one Assistance, for adults, 10, 10:30 and 11 a.m. Jan. 26
The Society of Artists for Newcastle, an art organization, is seeking new members. Call 271-5822.
Bridge players are wanted, evening or daytime. Games take place at various homes in the Hazelwood area. Call 255-0895.
The Newcastle Historical Society meets at 4 p.m. the first Thursday at City Hall, 13020 S.E. 72nd Place. Call 226-4238.
An international dinner, sponsored by Baha’i Faith of Newcastle, is at 6:30 p.m. the third Friday. Call 430-8047.
Drinking Liberally, an informal progressive social group that discusses politics, meets at 7 p.m. the first and third Thursday at Angelo’s Restaurant, 1830 130th Ave. N.E., Bellevue. Go to www.drinkingliberally.org.
Eastside Mothers & More, a social network for mothers, meets from 7-9 p.m. the second Tuesday in the North Room at East Shore Unitarian Church, 12700 S.E. 32nd St., Bellevue. Go to www.eastsidemothersandmore.org.
Hill ’N’ Dale Garden Club, meets at 6:30 p.m. the first Monday September through May at the Newport Way Library, 14250 S.E. Newport Way. Call 747-2953.
Angel Care Breast Cancer Foundation-trained survivors offer free emotional support to the newly diagnosed, enhancing emotional recovery while going through treatments. Go to www.angelcarefoundation.org.
Newcastle Weed Warriors: Volunteers are needed to help remove black berry bushes and with windfall cleanup from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 26 at Lake Boren Park, 13058 S.E. 84th Way. Learn more at www.newcastleweedwarriors.org.
The Coal Creek Family YMCA Seniors Program needs volunteers for intergenerational opportunities, including rocking and comforting infants, teaching children to play bridge and reading to kindergartners. Call 282-1506.
Newcastle Trails — trail advocates and builders for Newcastle: The group has built and maintained miles of trails for the public throughout the city, and has regular meetings and work parties. Call 453-9292, ext. 110. Learn more at www.newcastletrails.org.
Places to go
Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park, on Lakemont Boulevard Southeast, is a 3,000-acre park with more than 30 miles of trails and the site of the 1880s coalmines. Go to www.metrokc.gov/parks.