Firefighters battle wildfire near The Golf Club at Newcastle

October 3, 2012

By Christina Corrales-Toy

best online viagra forum viagra

NEW — 12:25 a.m. Oct. 3, 2012

Firefighters from Eastside Fire & Rescue and Bellevue and Duvall fire departments responded to a wildfire near The Golf Club at Newcastle at 6 p.m. on Oct. 2.

The fire was spotted by a pilot who relayed the information to an air traffic controller at the Renton Airport, said Lt. Troy Donlin, Bellevue Fire Department spokesman.

Initially, firefighters were not exactly sure where the fire was, but the approximate location of the response was at the corner of 154th Avenue Southeast and Southeast 83rd Court, according to Capt. Todd Dickerboom of the Bellevue Fire Department.

Two women then alerted the firefighters to the blaze located about a quarter mile up from a Cougar Mountain trail entrance on 154th Avenue Southeast, Dickerboom said.

The initial size of the fire was estimated at 300 feet by 600 feet, Donlin said.

As of 10 p.m., the fire was under control and crews had formed a perimeter around the fire’s remnants, Dickerboom said. Crews were expected to stay overnight to monitor any activity.

“When we consider it under control we’re not seeing big flames, it’s been knocked out, we’ve sprayed water everywhere and we don’t see anything, but there’s still smoldering going on,” he said.

Crews used about 2,400 feet of hose to reach the fire, Dickerboom said.

At the blaze’s height, 40 firefighters from the three departments were on hand, said Bellevue Battalion Chief Marty LaFave.

There is no word on a cause of the fire, but indications suggested that it could have been smoldering for some time, Donlin said.

Firefighters were expected to be at the scene overnight and into the morning, when they will have a chance to safely put out any lingering hot spots, Dickerboom said.

“We will wait until daylight when it’s safer to operate in the area so we can see where our hazards are and then bring in more crews to complete final extinguishment,” he said.

No one was injured and no homes were harmed by the blaze.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , ,

Comments

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.