July 3, 2012
The Fourth at the Lake Celebration is at 5 p.m. at Lake Boren Park. It features music by Neil Diamond tribute band Cherry Cherry at 8 p.m. and fireworks at the end of the concert. Bring a picnic dinner or purchase one from vendors starting at 6 p.m.
The Newcastle Chamber of Commerce monthly luncheon is from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. July 11 at Tapatio Mexican Grill, 6920 Coal Creek Parkway S.E. The guest speaker is Mack Strong, of TEAM-WORKS Academy. Cost is $20 for members and $25 for nonmembers. RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Newcastle Weed Warriors has the following maintenance and restoration projects through July (from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.). Learn more at www.newcastleweedwarriors.org.
- July 14 — Cinnabar caterpillar collection and tansy removal (location to be determined)
- July 28 — Knotweed survey in May Creek Open Space Park along May Creek. Meet at 8 a.m. at the parking location on Southeast 89th Way. Waterproof boots or tennis shoes you’re not afraid to get wet are required.
Concerts in the Park features live performances from 7-8:30 p.m. at Lake Boren Park, with picnicking starting at 6 p.m. The acts include:
- July 18 — Seatown Rhythm & Blues (soul, rhythm and blues)
- July 25 — The Mainstreet Band (Bob Seger tribute band)
- Aug. 1 — Threshold (Moody Blues tribute band)
- Aug. 8 — Fabulous Roof Shakers (rhythm and blues)
The Mack Strong TEAM-WORKS Academy Golf Tournament, Dinner and Auction is July 18 at The Golf Club at Newcastle. Tee off is at 1 p.m. with the auction and banquet at 6 p.m. Register at http://teamworksacademy.org/golf-tournament.
All city public meetings are at City Hall, 12835 Newcastle Way, Suite 200. Call 649-4444.
- Economic & Community Development — 8-9 a.m. July 10
- Parks Commission — 6-8 p.m. July 11
- City Council Executive Session — 6-7 p.m. July 17
- City Council regular meeting — 7-10 p.m. July 17
- Planning Commission — 7-9 p.m. July 18
- Finance Committee — noon to 1 p.m. July 19
Newport Way Library Association Meeting — 7:30 p.m. June 11, Newport Way Library, 14250 S.E. Newport Way, Bellevue
The Newcastle Trails board meets the first Monday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Regency Newcastle, 7454 Newcastle Golf Club Road.
The Coal Creek Family YMCA, 13750 Newcastle Golf Club Road, has regular family programs for all ages. Get a complete schedule by calling 282-1500 or go to www.seattleymca.org/Locations/CoalCreek/Pages/Home.aspx.
- Stroller Bootcamp at Coulon, 9:30-10:30 a.m. July 6, free
- Franklin Falls Family friendly hike, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 8, free
- Open Water Small Group Lessons, 6-6:50 p.m. July 11 and 18, $20
- Yoga at Lake Boren Park, 6:30-7:30 p.m. July 12, free
- Women’s Introduction to Road Cycling, 8-11:30 a.m. July 14, free
- Rookies T-Ball, for ages 3-4, 9-11 a.m. July 14 to Aug. 25, $42
- Women’s Bike Maintenance Class, 6:30-7:30 p.m. July 18, free
- Mountain Biking at Paradise Valley, 10 a.m. to noon July 21, free
- Family Camp at Camp Terry, 3 p.m. to 11 a.m. July 21, $30 for adults, $20 for children
The Friends of the Newcastle Library meets from 10 a.m. to noon July 7 (and from 4-6 p.m. Aug. 11) at Fire Station No. 9, 12412 Newcastle Way.
The Newport Way Library is at 14250 S.E. Newport Way, Bellevue. The following programs are offered the rest of the month:
Drop-in to Learn About e-Books, for adults, 3 p.m. July 7 and 7 p.m. July 10
Book Buddies Training, for teens, 4 p.m. July 9
Computer Class: One-on-One Assistance, 7, 7:30 and 8 p.m. July 11
Dream Big! Read and Experiment at a Science Show, 7 p.m. July 11
Book Buddies, for ages 5-8, 2 p.m. July 12 and 19
Dream It, Read It, Do It Magic Show, 7 p.m. July 16
Opera preview: “Turandot” for adults, 7 p.m. July 18
Newport Way Summer Book Group Movie, for adults, 6 p.m. July 23
Dream Time Music Workshop, for children and families, 7 p.m. July 25
Night Wings: Draw and Paint Owls and Moths, for children, teens and their families, 2 p.m. July 31
Mother Goose Story Times, 10:30 a.m. Thursdays
Lunch Bunch Story Times, noon Tuesdays
Pajama Story Time, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays
Baby Rhyming Time, for children and families, 10:15 a.m.
Young Toddler Story Time, for ages 1-2 with an adult, 10:15 a.m. Tuesdays
Toddler Story Time, for ages 2-3 with an adult, 11:15 a.m. Tuesdays
Preschool Story Time, for ages 3-5 with an adult, 1 p.m. Tuesdays
Baby Rhyming Time, for children and families, 10:15 a.m. Wednesdays
World Language Story Time, for children and their families, 10:30 a.m. Fridays
Study Hall, for teens, children and families, 3 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays
Study Zone, for teens, children and families, 3 p.m. Thursdays
East Shore Singles, for single adults older than 45, sponsors monthly activities on the Eastside. New members are welcome. Call 433-0558 for a monthly bulletin go to www.eastshoresingles.org or www.meetup.com/eastshore-singles.
The Society of Artists for Newcastle, an art organization, is seeking new members. Call 271-5822.
MOMS Club of Renton meets for play dates at parks and other locations. New activities are planned daily. This nonprofit, nonreligious organization provides daytime support for moms and their families. Call 260-3079.
Bridge players are wanted, evening or daytime. Games take place at various homes in the Hazelwood area. Call 255-0895.
Newcastle Historical Society meets at 4 p.m. the first Thursday at City Hall, 13020 S.E. 72nd Place. Call 226-4238.
An international dinner, sponsored by Baha’i Faith of Newcastle, is at 6:30 p.m. the third Friday. Call 430-8047.
Drinking Liberally, an informal progressive social group that discusses politics, meets at 7 p.m. the first and third Thursday at Angelo’s Restaurant, 1830 130th Ave. N.E., Bellevue. Go to www.drinkingliberally.org.
Eastside Mothers & More meets from 7-9 p.m. the second Tuesday in the North Room at East Shore Unitarian Church, 12700 S.E. 32nd St., Bellevue. Go to www.eastsidemothersandmore.org.
Hill ’N’ Dale Garden Club, meets at 6:30 p.m. the first Monday September through May at the Newport Way Library, 14250 S.E. Newport Way. Call 747-2953.
Angel Care Breast Cancer Foundation, free emotional support to the newly diagnosed, www.angelcarefoundation.org