September 3, 2010
NEW — 11:10 a.m. Sept. 3, 2010
Maywood Middle School students had an unexpected evacuation Friday morning.
At about 9 a.m., the school’s power went out. Shortly after, students and staff members reported smelling smoke and immediately evacuated the building, according to an e-mail Principal Jason Morse sent to parents.
King County Fire District 25 responded to the emergency call and found a faulty motor in the heating and cooling system had burned out because of the power outage. Firefighters evaluated the motor and allowed students and staff members to re-enter the building at about 10 a.m.